Friday, October 4, 7:00 – 8:15 p.m.
What to expect:
– Executive Function Skills Defined
– How are Executive Function difficulties manifesting in our children
– How do we as parents guide and support our children when
they are exhibiting difficulty with planning, organizing, thinking, flexibility, etc.
– Back to school tools to teach our children who have executive function difficulties
This parent discussion group will give you an overview of what executive functions are and why we are seeing our children struggle more and more in these areas. Oftentimes, students exhibiting difficulties in executive function skills will make statements like, “I can’t do it” or “I’m not going to do that” when asked to complete assignments. You might even notice that your child refuses to go to school, or he/she may have just given up in general. This behavior can be worrisome and frustrating for us as parents. We often feel like we are nagging our children. During our discussion group, we will also discuss strategies we can use to more effectively “reach” and motivate our children.
– Jennifer Lupiani, Psychologist and Workshop Leader